COME VISIT THE PIER
Posted 18 December 2015
This, Walton’s second pier, was owned by the Walton Pier & Hotel Company Ltd. It was originally built to a length of 530 feet in the 1870s. However, the lack of water at the pier-head meant that passengers often had to transfer to small boats to come ashore. The pier was, therefore, rebuilt. It re-opened in August 1898 to a length of 2600 feet and included a single line electric tramway which survived until 1935 when it was replaced by an unusual battery-powered carriage. In 1937, the New Walton Pier Company bought the pier and battery car.